A Salute to African American Students
Annual Touching the Spirit Awards
Lemon Grove Academy Middle School
7866 Lincoln Street
Lemon Grove, CA 91945
May 25, 2017
5:30 P.M. - 7:30 P.M.
The 2017 Annual Touching the Spirit Awards is an award assembly that will honor 4th through 12th grade African American students. This awards
assembly is designed to celebrate African American student achievement, community service and cultural heritage. Schools are invited to nominate and bring up to six African American
students, three males and three females, to receive one of the following awards.
- Dr. John Griffith, Academic Achievement Award
- Dr. Charles Thomas, Community Service Award
- Dr. Jack Kimbrough, Pride in Cultural Heritage Award
- Dr. Bertha Pendleton, Academic Achievement Award
- Dr. Shirley Weber, Community Service Award
- Ms. Shirley Day Williams, Pride in Cultural Heritage Award
Award Criteria - This
award is given to an individual who meets one or more of the following requirements:
Academic Achievement Award
- Has maintained a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or equivalent in elementary.
- Has shown continuous academic improvement and currently has a 3.0 or higher.
- Has shown the greatest academic improvement during the school year and is currently have over 3.0 GPA.
Community Service Award
- Has provided extra time and effort in supporting community activities or performing community service.
- Shows consistent leadership skills on campus, e.g. student government.
- Demonstrates follow-through in improving his/her school or community environments.
Pride in Cultural Heritage Award
- Has shown pride in African/African American culture through specific actions or projects undertaken at the school or in the community.
- Consistently seeks knowledge of African/African American culture.
- Shares personal knowledge of African/African American culture with others.
Click here to nominate an outstanding